Friday, June 03, 2005

Robotic Reptiles

chameleon
Even though I grew up here in Hawaii around geckos, I’ve never been a big fan of them. Those that know me well, know that I won’t even walk through a door if a gecko is hovering above waiting to pounce on me. I would rather stand outside for ten minutes and wait for it to catch a termite and go away. My psychological fear doesn’t end at geckos. . . it goes for toads, frogs, snakes and other creepy- crawlies.

When I found out about Bishop Museum’s newest reptile exhibit, I honestly wasn’t that excited to see it, but knowing that the exhibit would not consist of live creatures I went. Reptiles: Real and Robotic is impressive. Larger than life-sized robotically controlled reptiles represent the four major groups – lizards, snakes, turtles and crocodiles. One of the first things you see when walking into the exhibit is a Jackson’s Chameleon trying to catch a fly that’s sitting on a hibiscus flower. Its eyes realistically move sideways and it has a long retracting tongue just like a real Jackson’s Chameleon.

Another new innovation for Bishop Museum is the Science Learning Center. It will have over 16,000 square feet of interactive exhibits and provide opportunities to explore and learn about the volcanoes, oceans and biology of the Hawaiian Islands. It’ll even have a “deep ocean” tank where visitors can operate underwater robotic vehicles. Expect to see the Science Learning Center open this fall.

Even if you’re not a big reptile fan like me, it’s still worth it to take a trip down to the museum to see these big reptile robots. Reptiles: Real and Robotic is on display through September 11 and open daily from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Admission is $14.95 for adults and $11.95 children 4-12. Discount rates are available for kama’aina and military. Call 847-3511 or visit www.bishopmuseum.com for more information.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home