Friday, February 17, 2006

Never Lock Yourself Out Again

MyKey2300
I'm ashamed to admit it, and I swear I'm usually not one to do it, but yes, I locked myself out of the house recently. Um, four times within the past three months to be exact. I've either been buzzing off of too much Starbucks or really sleep deprived, or maybe a combination of both. Unfortunately there is no spare key hiding anywhere near the door, so I've had to wait for someone to come by to unlock it for me. Well, thanks to good ol' RFID (radio frequency identification) technology I won't have to worry about locking myself out again.

Although RFID has been around for awhile, the MyKey 2300 lock brings it down to a very useable and affordable consumer level that you can put on your door. With this lock, use the included cards or keyfobs to open your door instead of a key. If you don't have either of those with you, use the keypad to enter a PIN number. You will never need to call a locksmith or wait for someone to come home with a key again and your misplaced key or having to change your lockset will be a thing of the past. You can change your PIN and reprogram your RFID cards should you ever lose your keys or have them stolen. There is no need to change the lock out.

The MyKey 2300 is pickproof since it has no keyholes and comes standard with a night deadbolt function. It disables all external functions, allowing you to have a peaceful, worry-free sleep. It also has a built-in alarm that will most likely deter thieves at the door if it is forcefully entered. It is powered by four AA batteries and comes with eight RFID smart keys (four cards, two fobs and two tags). It features an automatic and a manual lock mode and external contacts (for a 9-volt battery) if in case the batteries that are in the lock die out on you. An external forced lock mode prevents unauthorized opening through a mail slot or window. On both the inside and outside of your door, it'll take up about six inches of space. Be careful where you install it since you have to make sure it's not going to get wet from those mauka showers, especially the sidewards rain.

The MyKey 2300 is available for $299.99 at www.thinkgeek.com. Kind of pricey for a lock, but it's worth it if you're the type of person to lock yourself out often. Think of all the money you'll save in the long run. And, I swear, I usually do not lock myself out, this has just been a fluke!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home